I asked my fifth grader to tell me what she’s learned in Elementary School– we are talking life lessons here, not multiplication and such, and I just love what she had to say.
Ten Things I Actually Learned In Elementary School (Written By A Fifth Grader)
- Sometimes your teachers are going to suck. They just are. Deal with it. There’s nothing you can do about it.
- You’re either going to be seen as a perfect student or a horrible child, there is no in between.
- Missing school isn’t all that great, you still have makeup work. Sigh…
- If you don’t get your work done in school, you have to take it home. So, quit talking and goofing off and finish it there.
- Make as many friends as possible. You never know when they’re going to move away.
- There is totally such a thing as a teacher’s pet for some teachers, and sometimes they really do play favorites. Try to be their favorite.
- You’re not old enough to have a boyfriend or a girlfriend.
- Don’t be a jerk. Ever. You’re the one that will get hurt if you do.
- Do your own work. Sure it’s plenty easy to copy, but then you just won’t know how to do the next thing your teachers try and teach you because you don’t know how to do the part you copied on.
- Enjoy it while it lasts. You won’t believe how fast elementary school goes by!
Pretty wise words for an almost sixth grader, if you ask me. 🙂