Disclosure: This is sponsored by Trident. The opinions expressed remain 100% my own.
Oral health is so important. According to the American Dental Hygienists Association, 80% of the U.S. population has some form of periodontal gum disease which means not enough people are taking care of their mouths properly. It could be a lack of knowledge, a lack of care, a combination of the two, or something entirely different. The results are still the same.
So today I have partnered with Trident to bring you 10 Ways to Improve Oral Health so you can avoid being just another statistic.
10 Ways to Improve Oral Health
- Brush twice daily. Yes it’s that rule of thumb but many people don’t follow it. It’s is recommended to brushing twice daily for at least 2 minutes at a time. Come on, what else could you really get done in 2 minutes?
- Eat less sugar. Sugar is among one of the biggest issues for your teeth. It causes plaque to form and eats away at your enamel. Best way to keep your teeth looking their best is by avoiding sugar as much as possible.
- Floss daily. Everyone knows they should floss but not everyone does. Flossing gets in between those hard to reach areas that your toothbrush cannot reach. It is suggested to floss after each meal to avoid plaque build up. I’ve even heard that flossing alone is actually better than brushing alone.
- Change how you eat. Your diet affects everything about your body including your teeth. Some foods are more acidic than others breaking down your tooth enamel. Choose healthier food items and in return your teeth will thank you.
- Get checked regularly. Life happens and with that those things that are important sort of fall off the to-do list like visiting your dentist. Without regularly getting checked, you are unaware of potential risks or issues involving your teeth so make it a priority to get examined.
- Avoid smoking. Smoking doesn’t provide any benefit to you. In fact, it causes all sorts of issues including bad breath, yellow teeth, mouth and throat cancer and so much more. Smoking can sometimes be the main culprit for poor oral hygiene so stop smoking as soon as possible.
- Use the proper toothbrush. Brushing too soft means your teeth aren’t getting cleaned but brushing too hard can irritate gums. You need to find the toothbrush that is right for you and your mouth. Typically a toothbrush with soft bristles is best (and when used the correct way). Some electronic toothbrushes have sensors will alarm you when you are brushing too hard, it could really help you clean your teeth the right way.
- Use a mouth rinse daily. I like to think there are 3 steps to clean teeth: brushing, flossing, and mouth rinse. Mouth rinse is the final step to help kill any bacteria lurking around and give you fresher smelling breath.
- Change up your toothpaste. Lots of toothpastes contain ingredients that are not even needed for cleaning your mouth. Sometimes those ingredients can do more damage then good. Opt for organic or simpler toothpastes.
- Chew a sugar-free gum after eating. Chewing a gum after eating and drinking can help remove food particles from your teeth, freshen your breath, and helps clean and protect teeth. Trident is the perfect option especially since they were the first national sugar-free gum in the US and is the leading sugar-free gum brand!
Show off your healthy smile with Trident
Trident has supported Oral Health America’s non-profit program Smiles Across America for the past 11 years, donating more than $2,500,000. This donation has helped more than two million underserved children get preventative dental care so they can have a healthy smile, an important part of overall health.
How you can help:
During the week of September 20th, every pack of Trident gum purchased will spur a $0.05 donation to Smiles Across America, up to $250,000.
Trident is available at retailers nationwide. You can find them in individual packs, multipacks, and even car packs. They also come in a variety of flavors. You can learn more about Trident on their website, Facebook, Twitter, and Smiles Across America.