DISCLAIMER: This post may contain affiliate links.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Holmes® Smart Air Purifier. All opinions are 100% mine.
“What is that smell?” I hate hearing those words, and often that’s what my husband says when we walk in the front door of our house. Honestly, we have a house dog and grandkids ranging from infants to tweens, and I cook. So what is our house supposed to smell like? I’d like it to smell “fresh as daisies” all the time, but that could be a full-time job. Because I can’t afford a full-time housekeeper, I came up with a few ideas for How to Remove the Stink from Your House that you might be interested in, too.
How to Remove the Stink from Your House
- Air fresheners can make any home smell like anything you choose.
- Give the dog a bath and make sure the dog’s bedding gets washed, too.
- Empty the vacuum before you use it to vacuum the carpet or rugs. If you don’t empty the vacuum before you start this job, you may be creating more smells instead of getting rid of them.
- Mop the hard-surface floors. I like to use an ammonia-based cleaner with a lemon scent.
- Use a Holmes® Smart Air Purifier with WeMo®. 99.97% of the airborne allergens are trapped by the True HEPA filters in the Air Purifier. And using the WeMo app, you can control the air quality in the house from anywhere–all you need is a smart phone or tablet. I downloaded the WeMo app, and found it was extremely easy to tell if the air quality has degraded in the house, or if the filters need to be replaced. Then I discovered a sense of relief at being able to make technology make my life easier. (I read that WeMo calls this a “WeMoment”–How cool is that?) When I’ve used the 2 replaceable filters that came with the Air Purifier, I’ll be able to order replacements right from my smart phone! Find out more about the Holmes® Smart Air Purifier with WeMo® on their website. Also check out our video on YouTube!
- Baking soda can make your carpets smell fresh. Just sprinkle the baking soda on your carpet or rug, wait 15 minutes, then vacuum.
- Check the potato and onion bins in your pantry. Nothing has a more odorous smell than a rotten potato or onion! If you find rotten veggies, put them in a zipper-style baggie and place outside your house until trash day.
- Cook a half cup of vinegar in your microwave for a couple of minutes. The vinegar seems to absorb the house odors, then you can pour them down the drain. Yes, your house may smell of vinegar for a few minutes, but that will dissipate in a little while.
- Overly fragrant foods, like bacon, can be cooked on the grill.
- Clean out the refrigerator. If there is anything in the fridge that is even a little bit stinky, the odor seems to fill the house every time I open the door. Baking soda is good for freshening your fridge–just dissolve a quarter cup of baking soda in 4 cups of warm water, and wipe down the inside of the fridge.
We love our Holmes® Smart Air Purifier because you can schedule it! And with the Wemo App, It’s super easy to set up! I love how it gets rid of pet smells and even the allergens in the room. We sleep like babies!
Share your own WeMoments with us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram with the hashtag #wemoments for a chance to win your own Holmes Smart Air Purifier! Contest ends June 15th, winners must be 18 years of age and reside in the United States!