Dinner time can be the most stressful time of the day if you have a picky eater. It can be hard to find ways to get your kids to try new foods. Maybe you have a child that won’t eat any type of vegetable, or anything green, or no potatoes. It can really be anything that can get some kids to refuse to eat. If it isn’t nugget shaped, I can’t taste good. Right?
Getting the kids to at least try a new food doesn’t have to be quite so stressful.
Try these 10 ways to get your kids to try new foods before you try force feeding your child their green beans next time!
- Stay calm. The most frustrated you become, the most anxious they will be to try the food.
- Try when they’re still hungry. If you limit snacks, then make them try the new food while they are hungry, they may be more willing to try something new.
- Just one bite. If it’s something new, don’t force them to eat an entire plate full, as they may become overwhelmed. Ask them to just try one bite. If they like it, they will eat more. If they don’t like it, at least they tried it.
- Introduce new things often. Try to make new things often, so the kids get used to trying new things. If they fall into a routine, it may be difficult to get them to try something different when a new food is introduced.
- Have them help grow it. If you have a garden, allow the kids to help. If they have helped grow their food, they may be more interested in trying to eat it.
- Don’t allow them to substitute foods. Yes, it may be easier to allow them to have something else if they throw a fit, but they will never learn they need to try new things. They could end up living on mac & cheese.
- Eat new foods yourself. Let your kids see you enjoying whatever new foods are available. If they see they aren’t being forced into something you wouldn’t dare try it may be easier to get them to take a bite. (This one is so hard for me!)
- Let them pick it out. If you’re at the store and see something you want your kid to try, show it to them and talk it up. Let them choose to put it in the cart. We also try to cook together when we can!
- Do not allow complaining. Make it a known rule. No complaining, at all. When one starts, they will all complain.
- Be Patient. It can take 7-10 times of trying a food before you can grow accustomed to the taste. Give it some time and let them try the foods several times before throwing in the hat.