Disclosure: This post was sponsored by ALDI through their partnership with POPSUGAR Select. While I was compensated to write a post about The Little Journey product line, all opinions are my own.
You can never truly be prepared for parenthood. All the books and advice in the world cannot prepare you for what is about to come. Sure we hear about the sleepless nights, crying, and obsessive cuddles but that isn’t what we are all worried about. It’s about those messy diapers. If you want a real challenge in life, try changing a newborn’s diaper for the first time. That will surely test your senses! But before you give up on the thought of having a baby (or a second one) you should know there are Ways to Make Diaper Changing Less of A Mess and that’s exactly what we are talking about today!
Ways to Make Diaper Changing Less of a Mess
If you are a rookie parent, or even if it’s been a while since you’ve had a newborn, then you might not know how things can go from bad to worse in about 2 seconds when changing your baby’s bottom. One second you think you have got it covered, and the next, you are actually covered in whatever you call the stinky mess that protruded from your baby. Don’t run just yet! There is hope!
Save your sanity and your clothes with these easy ways to make diaper changing less of a mess…
- Diapers are everything! Choosing the right diaper makes all the difference. You want to make sure your baby has a properly fitting diaper (choose the correct size) and one that will hold up to the mess. Some brands don’t work as well as others so this is where talking with other parents will come in handy. I am a fan of the Aldi Little Journey brand diapers (I’ll explain why below).
- Wipes complete the process. Changing your baby’s diaper without wipes is like brushing your teeth without toothpaste – not very effective at all! Another thing to note is that again, not all wipes are created equal. Some tear and rip during use, which really doesn’t help the situation. Choose wipes that are thick and absorbent and can hold up during use.
- Clean from the sidelines. Instead of being in the direct path of your baby’s bum, change your baby’s diaper from the side. You avoid an unnecessary mess on you by doing so.
- Apply diaper cream or petroleum jelly for easy cleaning later. By applying a cream or jelly after a clean diaper change, you are making the next diaper easier to manage. It provides a barrier between your baby’s skin and the mess making wiping away an easy and painless process.
- Make bags your new best friend. Keeping some sort of plastic bag handy during changing sessions will prevent you from contaminating other items around you. You can wipe, change, and throw it all in a bag for easy disposal.
- Changing pads are game changers. After the first time your baby has an accident all over your favorite silk throw you’ll think twice about changing him/her on anything but a changing pad. They aren’t a luxury baby item, they are a must have and will save so many painful messes. Choose one that has straps to prevent falls and one with a removable cover for easy washing.
- Distractions, distractions, distractions! If your baby is old enough to make things a bit more difficult during a diaper changing, you will want to have toys or games around to help distract them. This will allow you to change them quicker and without all the mess.
Now that you’ve read through those tips, do you feel like a diaper changing pro yet? If your answer was no, it’s probably because you don’t know what the right products to buy are. Again, I can totally help!
Above I mentioned that I am a fan of Aldi Little Journey products, specifically the diapers and wipes. The reason is simple; they get the job done without the need to spend a fortune. ALDI is a brand that is very cost effective for the quality you receive. It may not be glamorous, but diaper changing and parenting go hand in hand. ALDI has parents and little ones covered with Little Journey full line of changing essentials; including gentle cleansing wipes, diapers and training pants.
I like the Little Journey Baby Soothing Wipes because they are thick, absorbent and do not tear during use. I’ve even used them for unintended purposes such as wiping sticky hands, cleaning the car, and even removing makeup. They are fragrance free, alcohol free, and hypoallergenic so you can feel safe using them on your baby’s delicate skin.
The diapers are soft, absorbent, and I think the colors and design are totally cute!
Like all of ALDI exclusive brand products, Little Journey essentials are tested to meet ALDI high-quality standards. So you know your baby is getting the very best care!
Aside from diapers, wipes, and training pants, ALDI also makes infant-to-toddler snacks. Make healthy eating easy with yummy foods– including infant cereals, organic Puree pouches, Little Munchers® baked whole grain corn snacks, Yogurt Bites and whole grain Puffs– little ones will love, made from ingredients parents will feel good about.
Next time you are near your local ALDI make sure you snag some of the Little Journey products and give them a try for yourself!