OMG DISNEY! I swear, I’m going to gain ten more pounds if I make another Disney inspired recipe, but who can resist the urge?!!
It’s way too tempting to just disregard cooking up Disney’s famous food, when literally everything at the parks is ALMOST as good as mom’s cooking!
Well, I have another recipe to report and Disney just shared it TODAY! TGIF!
It’s their Mickey Mouse Beignets from Disneyland’s New Orleans Square and Walt Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter!
Fun fact, I actually stayed at Walt Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter the first time I visited Walt Disney World with my parents a while back! How funny!
Beignet is French for fried dough and this pastry is a fan favorite food throughout the Disney parks. Here’s what you’ll need to make the fluffy treat:
- 1/2 teaspoon of dry yeast
- 1/4 cup of warm water (105°)
- 1/4 cup of Sugar
- 2 tablespoons of Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 cup of Heavy Cream
- 1 Egg
- 4 cups of all-purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup of boiling water
- Vegetable Oil
- Powdered Sugar
Instructions for creating your fried Mickey’s head:
- Sprinkle your yeast over warm water in a small bowl, stir to dissolve and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine Sugar, Shortening, Salt, Heavy Cream, Egg, Flour and boiling water in a large bowl. Stir in your yeast mixture. With an electric mixer and a dough hook attachment, mix the dough on medium speed until combined and smooth. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll to 1/4-inch thickness and cut individual Beignets with a Mickey Mouse-shaped cutter or cut into 2 1/2 to 3-inch squares (if you don’t have one). Cover with a towel and let the dough rise until it’s doubled in size for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Heat 3 inches of Vegetable Oil to 350°F in a deep pot over medium-high heat. Fry your almost ready Beignets until they are golden brown for about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the Beignets as soon as they turn golden brown on one side. Place on a paper towel to drain and finally, dust your Beignets with Powdered Sugar and serve immediately for best tasting results!
Sorry Mickey, but you look to delicious not to bite into, it’s nothing personal, I’m just a sucker for fried dough!
As always, you can check out the recipe on Disney Parks Blog!