Watermelon is one of our favorite fruits so naturally it is a must have in our house during the summer months!
Its so refreshing to munch on a beautiful ripe watermelon on a hot summer’s day.
These Mini Watermelon Cupcakes capture the mouth-watering watermelon you’re craving all while satisfying your sweet tooth. Every bite is so delicious that its sure to put a smile on everyone’s face!
I love watermelon and summer. I truly feel they just go hand-in-hand.
I mean think about it, have you ever enjoyed watermelon on a hot sunny day without a smile on your face?
I didn’t think so.
That was my inspiration for these cupcakes – sweet, summer and watermelon.
While these don’t really taste like watermelon, they sure look like them.
The pink, the green and the cute little “seeds” (chocolate chips) make these the perfect sweet summer treat.
Oh and did I mention they are bite-sized (mini) making them perfect for keeping that bod bikini ready?
Although, once you try one you may want more. Don’t say you haven’t been warned!
Before you get started on making these, you might want to check out some other great Watermelon recipes that compliment these cupcakes:
Mini Watermelon Cupcakes
Making these mini watermelon cupcakes isn’t that hard but I learned the hard way that you can BURN them and make all the prettiness of the pink base go away.
My biggest tip is to not overcook them. You want to keep a close eye so you don’t burn the base and cause it to look brown.
Once you’ve got your batter mixed, fill your mini cupcake liners about 2/3 full (don’t overfill or they will rise too much and get all over your oven)
Once your cupcakes are cooking, you can fill your pastry bags with the frosting. We made 2 different tints of green. Each green color has it’s own bag. Then one bag is empty with just the star tip inside of it.
You then place the two bags of colored frosting into the empty bag with the star tip. This helps give that swirled color effect when piping the frosting onto the cooled mini watermelon cupcakes.
If your cupcakes don’t have enough time to cool after they are baked, the frosting will melt right off so I’d give them enough time to have the cupcakes be cool to the touch.
Check out the recipe below and hope you love it as much as we do!
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/3 cups granulated white sugar
- 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- red and yellow food coloring
- Ingredients For Icing:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons watermelon flavoring
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. milk
- green food dye
- Additional: A small paintbrush
- Preheat oven to 350° and place paper baking cups into 24 regular-sized muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar, butter, and eggs.
- Next, add vanilla extract.
- On a low speed, alternate blending in dry mixture and milk.
- Drop in 6 drops of red food coloring to every 1 drop of yellow until watermelon pink color is achieved. You may need more red, depending on how dark you want to make it.
- Hand blend in chocolate chips. These will be your watermelon seeds.
- Fill each muffin cup up about 2/3 full and bake for 20-25 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool thoroughly before frosting.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until creamy.
- Gradually beat in sugar until smooth.
- Beat in watermelon flavoring and gradually add milk until desired consistency is reached.
- Separate about 2 tablespoons of frosting into a separate small bowl.
- In bigger bowl (with your original frosting), add green food coloring ONE DROP at a time until a light green watermelon rind color is achieved.
- Spoon the different colored green frostings into 2 icing bags. Snip the ends, then place into 1 large icing bag together. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes in a swirl.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 193mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 3g