It is officially October and that means it’s time to carve those pumpkins and bust out the Halloween decorations.
Now, if you are like me and want to enjoy the decor, including carved pumpkins all month long, you need to know about this super awesome trick!!
You You Can Soak Your Pumpkins In A Bleach Bath To Make Them Last Longer!
Here’s How to Soak Your Pumpkins In A Bleach Bath To Make Them Last Longer
What you need:
- A pumpkin
- Large container or the sink (something the pumpkin will fit inside)
All you do is put 1 teaspoon bleach for every 1 gallon of water into a larger container and stick your pumpkin inside.
Let them soak for 20-30 minutes and pull out and allow to air dry.
Why does this work?
Because the bleach water helps kill the mold and fungus that causes the pumpkin to rot. This allows your pumpkin to last longer!
Now, if you are wondering if this is safe for animals (in case they eat this while it is outside) it is.
First off, you are using a tiny amount of bleach in the water. It is heavily diluted.
Secondly, “bleach breaks down primarily into salt and water. So after using Clorox® Bleach as directed on your pumpkins, the diluted bleach solution will break down to table salt and water when it’s exposed to the air and sun. The pumpkin will just taste a bit saltier than the squirrels were expecting!”Clorox
That information is literally from the Clorox Bleach website so despite what you may see circulating online, this is completely safe for animals as long as you are using the correct ratios of bleach/water.
IF you are really uncomfortable using bleach, you can also do the same process using vinegar.
So, give this trick a try and see if you can get those pumpkins to last all October long!