All I want is to get away, and get out of my house for awhile.
But to me, it is still too risky to take that long vacation away.
So, how the snap do you pretend you’re on a vacation, but stay home? Well, you do a little planning, and make the most of what you can.
Ways To Vacation At Home
1) Pick a week. A week where you don’t work. A week where you have no obligations. And, let people know you will be on vacation that week.
2) Make a list of things you want to do on your “vacation.” Kind of like a schedule of events that you are handed when you check in at fancy hotels or on cruise ships. Have a list of the fun things you want to accomplish.
We have some ideas — just keep reading.
3) Get a plush bathrobe and slippers — and also get them for your family, if they are going on this vacation with you. I’d go with purple, but that’s just me.
Have them hung up on your closet door, or somewhere accessible within eye shot. Just seeing that inviting robe and slippers will do wonders for your soul.
4) Have fresh linens and pillowcases on your bed. There’s nothing like going into a hotel, and being greeted with sharp, clean bedding. Give yourself that million dollar experience.
5) Make your bed every day. I know, this is not a fun vacation activity, but when you come back to it when the day is over, you will appreciate the fact that the bed is made.
Maybe even splurge, and get chocolates to put on the pillows. It will be fun to have a sweet treat when you are ready to crawl into bed at the end of the day.
6) Have fancy coffee or tea ready. Maybe one you wouldn’t normally splurge on, with some tasty creamer that seems way too sensible for a normal day at the office.
Even better, set up a little mini coffee bar where you can go to get your daily java in style.
7) Splurge on Uber Eats or DoorDash every single day. You wouldn’t make dinner if you were OUT on vacation, would you? Don’t do it on your special vacation either!!
Notice I didn’t call it a “Faux” or “Pretend” vacation. You want to think of this as the real thing, baby! Only luxury for you on this week of being off!
Things To Do On Your Special Vacation
1) No pool, no problem. Get yourself a Lounge Pool. Fill it with water. Have cans or bottles of your favorite beverage ready. Grab a book and your phone, and that’s all you need!!
Put your favorite tunes on your phone, but don’t have it in direct sunlight — I made that mistake. It wasn’t pretty.
Have an ice bucket, cooler, or something that will keep your beverages cold and close by.
Get your book, and get ready to soak up the uninterrupted pool time. You don’t even need a pool float, because you can lounge in style just like you are.
2) Spa Day!! You can really do this in any room. Start by lighting some candles to set the mood.
Fill a big bowl with hot water (or a footbath, if you have one). Get a towel, lotion, and nail polish ready at arms reach.
Soak your feet while you relax. You can choose to watch TV, listen to music, or even continue reading that book that you took to the pool.
When you are done soaking, dry off those tootsies, and lather them up with lotion. Let the lotion soak in.
If you feel like it, paint your toenails a cool color — or don’t. It’s totally up to you. It’s YOUR vacation, afterall.
3) Splurge on that new movie that just came out. Sure, it’s a bit more pricey than renting an oldie but a goodie, but you are on vacation, dang it! Go with the good stuff!
Pop up some popcorn, have your favorite soda on hand, and make sure you have a bit of your favorite candy.
It will be just like a movie theater, but better, because you don’t even have to get dressed, if you don’t want to. You can just stay in your robe and slippers!
4) DO NOT answer the phone for work calls, drama calls, or any other call that you wouldn’t deal with if you were out on vacation.
5) DO NOT answer emails or texts pertaining to anything but vacation.
6) As long as you are ordering food, get something from that restaurant you have REALLY been wanting to try. YOLO!! It’s vacation, my friend.
7) Find a “Sounds of Vacation” Podcast to listen to. For instance, I would be at Disney World this summer, if things were just a bit different.
BUT, I know that you can listen to a Podcast that is simply the noises on Mainstreet, Fantasyland, Frontierland, Adventureland, or Tomorrowland. It’s like I’m there, right in the middle of the action.
I bet, with a little searching, you could find a Podcast that is right for you.
8) Start a vacation journal. Keep track each day of the fun you decide to have, the food you eat, and even what you “go to the movies” to watch. You can always look back on your “Quarantine Vacation” with fond memories.
There is absolutely no reason you can’t still have a fun vacation without GOING somewhere on a vacation. Just treat it like you are unplugged, and away from reality, and that will become your reality!