I absolutely love Himalayan salt lamps and have a few in my home. They are said to have some benefits, and maybe they do, but mostly I love the soft glow they put out.
Something I never thought about though before was even though I know they are safe for us, are they safe for our pets?
The answer is no, they are not safe for our pets and can actually slowly poison them and even kill them! I had NO clue.
Now, for dogs this is isn’t as big of an issue as long as you keep them out of reach. However, if you have indoor cats, you may want to ditch the salt lamps.
Cat’s climb, so there really isn’t a safe place to put a salt lamp where a cat can’t get to them. You know the saying… curiosity killed the cat…
They’re dangerous for cats because Himalayan salt lamps can cause sodium poisoning in cats! Cat’s are tempted to lick the lamp due to the texture and the salt.
The side effects of cats licking salt lamps are pain, vomiting, seizures, neuro-type issues such as walking in a strange way. In severe cases, it can even end in death!
So if you rather be safer than sorry, ditch the salt lamps if you have cats!
If you only have dogs, be sure to not use the nightlight socket plug-ins. Also, make sure all of your salt lamps are up where your dogs can not get to them.