If Downton Abby and Gossip Girl had a baby delivered by Meredith Grey, it would be BRIDGERTON, Netflix’s new period romance series. And it’s glorious.
Here are ten reasons why:
1. The music. Taylor swift, Billie Eilish, and Maroon 5 – but string quartet style. This isn’t your mom’s elevator music. It’s upbeat catchy and so romantic.
2. The Duke of Hastings. Ladies, gentlemen, what have you— get ready to fall head over heels for this sexy man candy with a tragic childhood.
3. Penelope Featherington is a plus size goddess. I stan a curvy girl and am here for body positivity. Her dresses are gorgeous and I need more color in my wardrobe stat. I also love that she’s dealing with real plus size girl problems and struggles.
4. The balls. Is any period piece complete without gorgeous balls? BRIDGERTON takes it a step further. Basically, if Madonna were throwing a ball, she’d throw one of these.
5. The lack of sex education. Okay, you’d think this was a bad thing, but the women’s complete lack of understanding of where babies come from makes for some hilarious moments and is so indicative of the time!
6. The intrigue. Just who is Lady Whistledown anyway? Well, that’s what keeps things interesting…
7. The dresses. Every dress is more glorious than the last. The fabrics, the lace, the beading. This wardrobe is a dream.
8. The interracial couples. As a white woman married to a black man, this had to be the best part! It’s so nice to see us represented in mainstream media! You’d be surprised at how seldom it happens.
9. The men aren’t awful. So often in these types of period romances the men are scandalous, evil or even sinister. These guys were. Just doing their best and trying to get by.
10. The queen’s tiny dogs. These tiny dogs held by the queen’s maids-in-waiting are almost as cute as all the man candy!