We’ve all seen it.
People on social media sit in front of a camera, and try to eat a Paqui chip — the hottest chip in the world — without drinking water.
Why? Maybe for fun. Maybe for Likes and Follows. Maybe because they have nothing better to do.
It is painful to watch. You can almost feel the heat through the computer screen. I can’t even imagine.
Tragically, one teen tried to complete this “Paqui One Chip Challenge,” and it cost him his life.
Harris Wolobah, a 14 year old from Massachusetts, tried taking part in the challenge while at school, and several hours later, he actually died.
ICYMI, Paqui launched in 2016, and contains a single tortilla chip made from Carolina Reaper Pepper and Naga Viper Pepper — my mouth is burning just thinking about it.
It comes in a coffin-shaped box, and includes a big ol’ warning on the back — a warning many people ignore.
Paqui Chip Packaging
- Keep out of reach of children
- Intended for adult consumption
- Do not eat if you are sensitive to spicy foods.
It even says that you should “seek medical assistance” if you have a medical emergency, including breathing problems and fainting.
An autopsy is still pending on Harris Wolobah, but doctors are speaking up, and letting us know about the side effects that can occur when completing this spicy challenge.
Sometimes we see people that will have a lot of chest pain, or they’ll experience things like palpitations as well.Dr. Lauren Rice, Tufts Medical Center
Let this be a lesson to you. Think twice before you take part in this dangerous challenge.
It may seem like the “cool” thing to do, but the consequences can be life threatening.
So sad that this young man lost his life. My thoughts, prayers and condolences go out to his family.