D23 (Disney’s official fan club) just released Walt Disney’s favorite chili recipe, and I can’t wait to make it for myself!
Walt was raised in the midwest, and so he ate like a typical midwest guy — Meat and Potatoes.
One of his favorite things to eat, according to his wife, Lillian, was chili. She said he would order it at luxury restaurants, the Disney Commissary, and she would make it for him at home.
Straight out of the Disney Archives, and labeled as “Walt’s Favorite Foods,” is this very chili recipe.
So sit back, put on one of your favorite Disney+ movies, grab your most comfy fuzzy blankets, and enjoy a bowl of Walt’s favorite chilli.
What You’ll Need to Make Walt Disney’s Favorite Chili:
2 lbs. coarse ground beef
2 onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic
1⁄2 cup oil
1 cup chopped celery
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 large can solid pack tomatoes
2 lbs. dry pink beans
|For Extra Zest|
Add a pinch of the following spices:
1 little yellow Mexican chili pepper
How to Make Walt Disney’s Favorite Chili:
- Soak beans overnight in cold water.
- Add water to cover the beans plus 2 inches
- Simmer with onions until tender (This will take about 4 hours)
- Prepare a sauce by browning meat and minced garlic together in oil
- Add the remaining ingredients
- Simmer for 1 hour
- When beans are good and tender, add the sauce to the beans and simmer for 1⁄2 hour
This recipe makes enough for 6 to 8 people, so as soon as it’s socially acceptable, grab a friend, and enjoy this chili and a movie together!