DISCLAIMER: This post may contain affiliate links.
Surely you have joined our super awesome Facebook group, right? If not click here to follow!
I don’t know about you, but I’m looking for ways to get SEVERAL meals out of one great attempt at cooking.
That’s why this WHOLE CHICKEN recipe is so freaking amazing, and easy as could be!! It is inspired by Katie Seelye — my brand new favorite obsession who films the Quarantine Kitchen from her home, and uploads the recipes to Facebook.
Not only do you get yummy chicken on Day One, you can have pot pie Day Two, and even a small chicken pasta salad Day Three thrown in for fun.
All that from ONE 5-ingredient Roast Whole Chicken recipe, and it’s SO FREAKING EASY to make!
What you need:
- Whole chicken that will fit in your slow cooker, inside goodies removed.
- Bag of peeled carrots. You can even use baby carrots here — I’m not gonna judge.
- One onion. Use what you have on hand, red or sweet yellow will do nicely.
- Washed potatoes, about 4 big ones. I don’t care if they are red, russet, or yellow! Just potatoes will do.
- 1 Stick of Butter
- Seasoning — TOTALLY Optional. But, I like to use garlic, salt, more garlic, italian seasoning, seasoning salt, paprika, maybe a bit of cayenne, or whatever else your little heart might desire.
Here’ what you do:
Wash the veggies right before you cut them.
Cut all the veggies into chunks. Like, not small enough where they will dissolve in the juices, but maybe a bit bigger than a bite. Just chunks. Use your best ninja cooking skills to decide what’s best. I believe in you.
Throw those veggies in the bottom of your slow cooker.
Put the Chicky on top. Fold those wings under (I HATE that part). — Make sure you have removed any inner goodies that may have been put there by the manufacturer.
Get out that stick of butter — it should be slightly warmer than room temperature. Use your fingers, and massage it into that chicken. Don’t forget it’s legs and its breasts. Work It!
Now you stick your crockpot lid on. Set it to High for FIVE hours, or LOW for up to EIGHT hours.
Sit back and relax. Watch some Netflix. Maybe read a book. Breathe in the aroma of Roasting Chicken as it cooks.
A short while later — DINNER!! That bird should fall of the dang bone!
Eat some of the chicken and veggies, but save some for more great recipes. Or, you can eat it all. I don’t really care. I’m not here to judge your eating hobbies.
- Whole Chicken (Goodie Bag Removed From Inside The Cavity)
- 3 Potatoes
- 1 Onion
- 3 Carrots
- Stick of Butter
- OPTIONAL -- Herbs to Mix In The Butter
- Wash The Veggies
- Cut All The Veggies Into Bite Sized Chunks
- Throw Them In The Bottom Of The Slow Cooker
- Place Chicken On Top Of Veggies In Pot
- Tuck Under The Wings
- Soften The Butter, and Massage It Into the Chicken
- If you so desire, add herbs to the butter before you massage it in
- Put The Lid On The Slow Cooker, And Set It to Low For 8 hours, or Low For 5 Hours
- When The Time Is Up, You CAN Stick The Chicken Under The Broiler For 4-5 Minutes To Crisp Up The Skin, But You Totally Don't Have To
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 486Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 241mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 30g
See Katie’s Slow Cooker Roast Chicken show below.