If you’re thinking about the big July 4th BBQ you’re going to throw, these Patriotic Cupcakes are the Perfect July 4th Dessert.
They’re super easy and fun to make–and they taste like a million bucks.
Maybe you should just make some, before the party, just to try them out, you know…
Patriotic Cupcakes are the Perfect July 4th Dessert
Basically, every year, one of my family members is “elected” (get it?!) to have a backyard BBQ on July 4th.
We do the normal thing with the burgers and maybe some adult beverages, but then, it’s all about the desserts as we watch the fireworks light-up the sky.
This year, I’ve been “elected” and I’ve decided these Patriotic Cupcakes are the Perfect July 4th Dessert!
They’re super simple, basic cupcakes that I just can’t get enough of.
The real trick to making cupcakes is the butter…gotta use butter.
Once the batter is made (with the butter), you break out the batter into 3 batches, coloring two to be red and blue, respectively.
By doing this and then layering it in the cupcake liners, you get this awesome explosion of color in every bite.
And, yes, I only decided to say that so I could say “explosion of color”. Heh.
After that, though, it’s all oven.
Then, it’s time for fireworks!
Literally, it should be close to time for the fireworks in the backyard, because we’re getting super close to time to finish these cupcakes–and they will not be around long.
So, as soon as the cupcakes are out of the oven and have a little while to cool off, the “fireworks” have to happen.
Oh, the icing–so much awesome icing.
And don’t forget the patriotic sprinkles. #sprinklesarelife
So, are you in for making some Patriotic Cupcakes for your July 4th BBQ?
Oh, but you’re low on flour? Oh no.
Well, that’s ok!
Just pin this recipe to your favorite July 4th recipes board and then you can find it really fast when you get ready to make ’em!
Oh, and if you agree that these Patriotic Cupcakes are the Perfect July 4th Dessert, be sure to drop a 5-star rating on the recipe, below, so that we know you want to see more awesomeness like this!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup salted butter, slightly softened
- 1 ¾ cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 egg whites
- ⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
- ⅔ cup milk
- Wilton color gels
- -No Taste Red
- -Royal Blue
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
To Make Cupcakes:
- Line muffin tin with paper cups.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter for about 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla and beat well.
- Add egg whites and beat well on high speed.
- Alternate dry flour mixture with cream and milk, beating on low speed just until combined.
- Divide batter into thirds. I do this by using a measuring cup or portion scoop to equally divide into three bowls.
- Color one bowl of batter with royal blue color, one bowl with red and leave the other bowl white.
- Spoon batter into prepared cupcake pan, red on the bottom, followed by white and blue until about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
To Frost Cupcakes:
- Use a whisk attachment on your mixer to beat ingredients together until stiff peaks form.
- Place into piping bag and pipe onto cupcake. I used Wilton Tip 32.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 97mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 0gSugar: 18gProtein: 3g