DISCLAIMER: This post may contain affiliate links.
Surely you are following us on TikTok by now, right? If not click here to follow!
I never realized how surreal it would feel to watch my daughter grow up.
One day she’s a tiny little infant, dancing around the house in cute little tutu’s, with bows as big as her head holding back her hair, and before I know it, she’ll be asking for the keys to drive to the movies with her friends.
It’s not fair how fast the time goes by.
And I never realized how much I would ache realizing that she needs me less and less.
She might not need me to cut the crusts off her bread anymore, but there are still 10 things I need my daughter to remember as she grows up…
The 10 Things I Need My Daughter To Remember As She Grows Up
1. You can do anything, but that doesn’t mean you are free of consequence. Be brave, be free, be smart, be adventurous, be courageous. Just be aware that there is always a consequence for what you choose.
2. You will play many roles as a woman: wife, mom, daughter, sister, co-worker, friend and so on. Don’t lose your autonomy trying to be everything to everyone.
Love yourself enough to be authentically you.
3. Your heart will break, and people will let you down, but don’t let this harden you.
It’s ok to feel vulnerable, and still love, that’s the bravest thing you can do.
4. You are not just a pretty face: you are a brilliant mind, a compassionate heart, a strong body, a deep and eternal soul. You are not some shallow vessel that settles for cheap words like “you’re pretty.”
You are a magnificent being, filled with aspirations and dreams. Don’t forget you are made for so much more that what society, tv, and the internet shows you.
5. Always be compassionate to those around you. Show love and kindness. We are all dealing with struggles.
Some just don’t open up and let others in to help. A kind word, smile, or ‘hi’ can make someone feel like they matter.
6. It’s okay to say no and mean it. It’s okay to stand up for yourself.
7. Enjoy some time alone, love being with you. Get to know you, finding what makes you tick, and your inner authentic you.
8. Your weaknesses DO NOT DEFINE YOU. You are a shiny diamond with many fassets, sides, light shining through.
I know some days are hard and you feel like your struggles are more than you can bare, but darling you are stronger than you think!
9. Being a mom isn’t easy, we always feel we are never good enough for our children. Please know that I tried my best.
We all get better as time goes on, we find a way to communicate that speaks to the most sensitive depths of each others heart and know that through all these growing pains we are going to be great friends.
10. Always remember that I am your mother. My blood runs through you, I carried you in my womb for nine months, and at one point we were one.
No matter the path you choose part of me is always with you. We will always be in this together. No matter what you face. The good, the bad, and the ugly, baby girl, I’ve got you. Now and forever!