Skip to Content

My House Is Never Clean, And I’m Okay With That

This weekend we’re getting ready to visit my future mother-in-law. These trips are always a nice break from the every day for us, but they also highlight one rather crucial shortcoming in my life: I am not a cleaner. I don’t do the dishes after every meal. I do not sweep daily. I do not wash, dry, hang or fold laundry in one magical day. The truth is, my house is never clean. But, I’m okay with that.

My House Is Never Clean, And I’m Okay With That

I’m not a slob, but I’m not a neat person by nature. Some studies like to say it’s because creative people need a bit of mess in their lives. I call those lies.

I’ll tell you why my house will never be spotless: I’m busy.

Freakishly busy.

Today I have a to do list with around 38 items on it. I got to 35 before I eyeballed the sticky note I wrote while trying to multitask and tacked on a few. Most days I get 90% of my to do lists done. That remaining 10%? It’s always cleaning. I swear to you, that 10% makes up my entire house.

I’m thirty-something. At this point in my life I need to just accept that my life, my house, my office, will never be Instagram elegant. My house will never be featured in Better Homes and Gardens.

I have a home that is well loved, lived in and constantly full of people. Thank goodness they don’t mind if we haven’t done the dishes or wiped down the kitchen table. Our friends are the best.

I know it bothers me when my fiance makes a comment about the state of the house, but the honest truth is–we are both to blame. We both live here. We can both pitch in and help clean up. It doesn’t have to be just me, but the truth is that our priorities are different.

And you know what?

That’s okay.

More power  to those people who have homes that could host a Martha Stewart photo shoot at a moment’s notice. Mine is not and will never be that. And I’m here to tell you that it’s okay.

Seriously.

If you’re like me, you’re probably a working woman, a mom, or one/both of those. You’ve got a lot on your plate. In this day and time it is completely irrational to believe that you can have the house clean, laundry done and dinner on the table by five all while keeping the kids tidy and juggling all sorts of…hobbies. It’s just not our day and age. Besides, I like walking into a house and seeing that these people are just as not perfect as me. It helps me feel a bit more comfortable, if I’m being totally honest.

So, here’s my permission slip to you for the week: Skip the dishes and relax! Your home may not be clean, but I promise you are not alone.

This Genius Teacher Hack Gets Kids To Help Clean Up And I'm Using It At Home

Sunday 22nd of August 2021

[…] have tried just about everything, and I usually just resort to cleaning it up myself to avoid the fights and […]

Kayleigh Larson

Wednesday 3rd of October 2018

Thank you so so much for writing this. I needed it. This is amazing.