DISCLAIMER: This post may contain affiliate links.
Growing up in the south you learn there are a few absolutes in life: tea is supposed to be sweet, and food is better fried.
Of course, you’re learning these things from grandma’s who want to plump you up so they can pinch your squishy cheeks, but as much as those grandma’s loved us their love came at a price.
As adults we have to make better choices for ourselves, and for our own kids. So now maybe we choose to drink our tea unsweetened…and we bake our “fried” foods.
These 25 insanely delicious baked “fried” foods will give you all that nostalgic great taste you loved at grandma’s house, but there will be a little bit less of you for her to pinch at the end of the day. Sorry, Grandma.
It had to be done. Enjoy!
25 Foods That Are Better Baked, Not Fried
1. Delicious asparagus fries are what French fries hope to be when they grow up.
2. When you try these baked fried mushrooms, pat yourself on the back and tell yourself you ‘done good’.
3. These apple fritters are just like grandma used to make, but without the clogged arteries.
4. Know when you wipe the potato chips grease on your pants after eating one? No need with these!
5. If you’re addicted to Wing Stop lemon pepper wings, have we got the recipe for you!
6. Mexican chocolate glazed donuts will make you say random Spanish words. Like, “delicioso” and “muy bien.”
7. When you make these parmesan garlic fries, don’t beat yourself up for not having made them sooner. You just didn’t know.
8. Amazing chimichangas don’t have to add inches to the hips…but if you want seconds, we won’t judge.
9. Southern chicken and waffles is a tradition, but the heartburn after doesn’t have to be.
10. This “fried” shrimp comes without the side of guilt. You’re welcome.
11. Deliciously curly sweet potato fries add a little whimsy (and a lot of flavor) to any meal.
12. Craving the colonel? This KFC “fried” chicken recipe is baked, not fried. And definitely doesn’t skimp on those 13 savory spices.
13. If you’re not a fan of “fried” apple pies, I’m not 100% certain we can be friends.
14. Want to give your kids veggie nuggets but not fried food? Now you can!
15. The best part of baked chicken taquitos is not having to throw away grease-stained shirts when you’re done eating.
16. Southern country “fried” fish tastes better when served on paper you can’t see through.
17. French fries are great with every meal, but even better when they’re not trying to kill you with their fat content.
18. Delicious eggplant parmesan makes a better appetizer when it’s not dripping grease.
19. Sweet cinnamon and sugar churros are made for late-night snacking. Know what isn’t? Transfat.
20. This un-fried chicken fried steak with a glass of sweet ice tea is like a southern person’s dream meal.
21. French beignets – no one knows how to say them, but everyone loves them.
22. Crispy “fried” green beans are a crunchy treat you can enjoy whenever you want.
23. If you still fry your onion rings, you need to know you’re doing it all wrong.
24. We’re guessing the book “fried” green tomatoes would have had a different message if they’d been baked.
25. If you’ve never tried “fried” pickles and don’t want to (because they’re weird), it’s okay. More for us.