DISCLAIMER: This post may contain affiliate links.
Seriously, I can’t believe I caught it! Dude, this DIY Snitch Necklace is made to be Chased (and worn)! And it’s so easy.
I can’t believe I didn’t think of making this YEARS ago…
This DIY Snitch Necklace is Made to be Chased (and worn)
Ok. I’m not kidding, I’m a little in love with this DIY Snitch Necklace.
It’s perfect for any Harry Potter lover, as a gift, as a DIY or anything.
It’s literally the most awesome thing ever.
And, because it takes about 40 minutes from start to finish, you can have this ready to go in such a short time, it’s one of those “why not?!” ideas.
And “why didn’t I think of this sooner?!” ideas. LOL!
To start my DIY Snitch Necklace, I combined a bit of white, a bit of yellow and a bit of orange Filmo Kids (yes, I know, I know, I’m not a kid, but this is what my local craft store had, so oh well) polymer clay.
This made a nice, soft orangey gold.
That gold, though, needed to be a ball.
So, roll it into a ball I did! LOL!
Now, I don’t know if you’re super familiar with the snitch, but it’s not just gold-ish.
No, it’s full-on-gold-sparkley.
So I rolled my little ball of goldy in gold glitter.
No glue necessary–the glitter sticks nicely to the clay.
But! If you don’t want the glitter to stick to your wings in the next step, you best go wash those hands…
Because next, we’re breaking out white and off-white clay to make our pretty cream wings.
I made sure I had two portions of about equal size and then just rolled them out into really long (like 3-inches) tubes.
This is not strictly necessary, I’m sure, but it made it easier for me to gage how long I wanted the wings to be ultimately.
Then I just flattened the tube as much as possible.
Because I wanted the wings to be super thin, that meant the clay had to be super thin.
This means the wings are more fragile on my DIY Snitch Necklace, but I thought it was worth the look.
With two of those that looked very similar, I was ready to make my DIY Snitch Necklace fly!
Or not, I hear they’re hard to catch. LOL!
Then, I used a spoon (a really thin one) and made some marks on the edges and sides of each wing.
And with those made, it was time to put the wings on.
Even with the glitter, I had no problem getting the wings to stick, but if you do, I bet some super glue would work well here–but you won’t need it, I don’t think.
Then I slid an eye pin into each wing.
This was kind of dicey to do, since I’d made the wings so thin, but working slowly and gently, I was able to keep the eye pin in the wing the whole way.
And then it was sealing and baking…or baking and sealing. LOL!
I just love how this DIY Snitch Necklace turned out…so simple, but so freaking FUN!
So, are you sold yet on making your own DIY Snitch Necklace? Hurray!
Oh, but you don’t have any polymer clay? Bummer.
That’s ok, though!
Just pin this to your favorite Harry Potter craft ideas board on Pinterest.
Then you can find it really fast when you get back from the craft store! LOL!
- 1 small ½ dime sized-ball orange polymer clay
- 1 small ½ dime sized-ball yellow polymer clay
- 1 small ½ dime sized-ball white polymer clay
- 1 small ½ dime sized-ball off-white glitter polymer clay
- Gold glitter
- 2 eye pins
- 2 jump rings
- A small necklace chain
- Clay glaze
- Plier and wire cutters
- Wax Paper
- Combine the orange and yellow polymer clay.
- Roll this now goldeny-yellow clay into a ball.
- Roll this ball in the gold glitter. Set aside.
- Combine white and off-white polymer clay.
- Break the combined white clay into two equal portions.
- Roll one combined white clay portion into a skinny tube.
- Flatten skinny tube into a wing shape about 2-inches long and ½ inch wide, pointy on one end and rounded on the other.
- Copy the same wing shape using the second combined white clay portion.
- Using the spoon, mark the surface of each wing with thing “feathers”.
- Flip the wings and mark the other side with feathers.
- Attach the wings to each side of the gold ball.
- Trim the eye pins to about 1-inch long.
- Slide one eye pin into each wing end.
- Seal the snitch.
- Place the snitch into the oven on wax paper for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow snitch to cool completely.
- Attach a jump ring to each eye pin ring.
- Attach necklace ends to each jump ring.