Skip to Content

Here Is What You Should Do If Your Dog Gets Stung By A Bee

Just like you probably have an aversion to getting stung by a bee, it can be a traumatic experience for a doggo, too.

Most people have been stung by a bee or wasp before. If you haven’t, consider yourself lucky!!

It stings!! (See what I did there?)

You probably say a few cursies, put some kind of medicated paste on it, and then apply a bag of ice to the swollen painful lump on your skin.

Just imagine for a second, if you will, that you are a dog who has just been stung by a bee. You have NO idea what just happened or what is going on, and you can’t think to do anything but scream and run in circles.

Luckily, you have good human parents who know just what to do to make that nasty sting all better.

Here’s what to do if your dog gets stung by a bee.

First of all, talk gently to the pup. Just like a kid freaks out when you freak out, a dog can sense your panic.

Be calm for your dog. It needs to sense that you are calm and that you know what you are doing.

Then, if you can see the stinger, the AKC suggests you remove it with a pair of tweezers.

Next, you want to make a paste out of baking soda and water (a little thicker than pancake batter), and apply it to the area that has been stung.

It’s believed that baking soda can help neutralize the acidity of the sting and mitigate inflammation. 

CHOC

Now you can get an ice pack, and hold it on the wound. This will help with the swelling.

Call your vet, and see if it is okay to give your dog an antihistamine — like benadryl. It will help if your dog develops an allergic reaction to the sting.

When the trauma is over, give your pup a nice cold bowl of water, and watch them carefully to make sure they aren’t having a bad reaction.

If your dog is allergic, it will most likely have a reaction in the first 20 minutes or so. BUT, reactions may take longer to appear, so keep your dog with you for a while so you can keep an eye on them.

You need to take EXTRA care if your dog gets stung on the neck or face — it can affect their breathing, and this is an emergency situation.

If you notice an anaphylactic reaction (problems breathing), contact your vet IMMEDIATELY.

Previous
People Are Just Now Learning How Camels Drink Water And It's Made The Internet Go Crazy
Next
A Judge Has Denied Britney Spears' Request To Remove Her Father As Her Conservator