When I was a little kid, I was FASCINATED with what I considered “pretty” foods…now, I get it that “pretty” doesn’t always equal good choices and what I thought was pretty back then was a little silly. But one snack food that still fits in that pretty category as well as the good choice category: My mom’s Chunky 7-Layer Dip.
I know, I know, like everybody knows how to make a 7-layer dip…you slap some various delicious stuff on top of each other and call it yummy. But my mom’s is WAAAAY different than the norm. You see, it’s in the title…it’s CHUNKY. And it’s also exactly what I’m making to bring to the Big Game watching party!
What You Need to Make Chunky 7-Layer Dip
- 1-2 large tomatoes
- 2 stalks fresh cilantro
- 1 small onion
- 2 large avocados from Mexico
- 1 can of pinto beans, drained
- 1 small container of sour cream
- 1/2 lb cooked ground beef (or fajita steak or fajita chicken if you’re feeling frisky)
- 1/3 brick cheese, grated
- 2 tblspn lemon or lime juice (I prefer lime, myself)
Putting Together Chunky 7-Layer Dip
- Chop your tomatoes, cilantro, avocados from Mexico and onion into small, bite-size portions about a 1/4″ square and mix together. Sprinkle your lime or lemon juice over it and try to stir it all so that the lemon gets on most of the avocado to prevent any unintended browning.
- Start your layering with the beans, they make a nice base. Spread them evenly on the bottom of your platter.
- Add a layer of the meat you chose on top of the beans. Again, try to spread it evenly.
- Last, make a nice, even layer of sour cream across the meat…I know it’s hard, but it’s the last “difficult” step…You’re so close!
- Now evenly spread your tomatoes, cilantro, avocados from Mexico and onion mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese across it all and you’re done!
Devouring Your Chunky 7-Layer Dip
- I recommend tortilla chips (even the blue corn ones, for a twist), but, for a little fun, you can also use crackers or corn-chips…heck, my son even likes to pop this dip onto a tortilla and pretend I made fajitas!
- To pair another fantastic dip with this, I usually make some queso and then, if someone wants extra cheese on their Chunky 7-Layer Dip, it’s right there!
- Be sure to use avocados from Mexico–they’ve got the BEST flavor and available 365 days a year!