Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Dove Advanced Care Antiperspirant. The opinions expressed remain my own.
It’s winter and chances are, your skin is feeling it. The cold winter air typically dries out our skin from head to toe making everything itchy and unpleasant. But before you let the dry skin get you down, you’ll want to check out our favorite Winter Skincare Survival Tips to help you get that glow back to your skin.
Winter Skincare Survival Tips
I don’t know about you but dull, itchy skin can go back to the hole it crawled out of. I am ready to rock that beautiful summer glow without the summer heat. If you feel the same, you’ll want to look over the winter skincare survival tips we have below. Many have come from Dove Dermatologist (and skin expert) Dr. Alicia Barba.
- Don’t exfoliate! You are probably thinking I am crazy, right? Well, I am not. You see, over-exfoliating can strip the skin of its essential oils, leading to breakouts in the dryer, colder months. A misconception is that rubbing off dead skin cells daily will improve skin, when it can dehydrate it. So, you can gently exfoliate a few times a week (a loofah works wonders for me) but don’t think exfoliating a ton will get rid of the dead skin.
- Hydrate your skin right! With so many skincare products on the market, it can be hard to determine which is right for your skin. Start with one that hydrates. Dry skin is more than just annoying and uncomfortable, it can lead to serious skin problems such as worsening of eczema, psoriasis and can be a major cause of winter itch. Use a hydrating cleanser and make sure to moisturize the skin after cleansing or gently exfoliating. I also try to avoid cleansers with salicylic acid as I’ve found it dries my skin even more!
- Moisturize it all. I am guilty of only using moisturizing products on the areas where my skin isn’t covered in the winter. You are too? Well, that can actually cause your skin to be more dry than usual. Warm weather ensembles require us to pay attention to the skin we’re showing, but it can be easy to neglect our covered areas when we swap in our less-revealing winter wardrobes. You want to be active in treating the neck, chest, hands, and elsewhere all year long. Moisturize beyond the face.
- Underarms need love too! Did you know that underarm skin is sensitive and an area that shouldn’t be overlooked? Textures and fabrics in sweaters, undergarments and t-shirts can irritate the skin. Underneath all those layers, you’ll need a product that keeps you hydrated and protected. Dove Advanced Care Antiperspirant is formulated with moisturizers to help alleviate irritation and leave you with softer and smoother underarms. Plus, it smells great and provides 48-hour odor and wetness protection.
- Make a schedule. It may seem strange but sleep is the route of all health and wellness including your skin. Bedtime is the best time to hydrate your skin. If you’re looking to decrease collagen breakdown, you might want to consider these three quick steps before hitting the hay: 1. Wash your face. 2. Apply a retinol. 3. Moisturize.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen. Counter to what many may think, sunscreen is for all seasons not just summer. Consider switching to a moisturizing sunscreen, a bit richer than your summer product. Harmful UV rays don’t take a break for cold weather. Even if you’re bundled up, sunscreen is a must for your face, and any other skin that’s not covered up.
Now that you are armed and ready with ways to survive the winter cold, you’ll want to head out and grab all sorts of products to show your skin love and care. While you are out, don’t forget to pick up Dove Advanced Care products. I found some at my local Target. With several different scents and options available, they help make it easy to stay fresh and clean while caring for my skin. You can learn more here.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Dove Advanced Care Antiperspirant.