Disclosure: Post is sponsored by Merial, a world-leading animal health company, providing a comprehensive range of products to enhance the health and well-being of pets, but all opinions are my own. Please see below for additional disclosure.
I love my cats Cookie, Kittay, Patches, and Kisses. But, their curiosity puts them at risk for contact with rabies-infected creatures. In 2013, nearly 500 domestic animals within the United States contracted the rabies virus, and cats accounted for more than half of these cases.1
Merial, the maker of PUREVAX® Feline Rabies vaccines, has created Feline Defense, an interactive game that is designed to inform cat owners about the dangers of rabies. The game is available at www.purevaxpureprotection.com.
Join me, as I take steps to help prevent rabies, and let’s pledge to ensure that our cats are currently vaccinated against rabies. The vet’s office may not be our cats favorite place, but vaccination provides me with the peace of mind that they are protected.
Here are a few tips to make your trip to the vet easier:
- Get your cat comfortable with the carrier. Bring it out a couple of days before your visit so he/she can explore the new object.
- Give lots of love, praise and treats for playing with carrier. Make it an enjoyable experience.
- Try adding a blanket to the carrier so it’s a comfy environment.
- Find a veterinarian that’s right for you and your pet. Check out the vet finder on www.purevaxpureprotection.com.
- Stay relaxed and keep making the effort.
Merial partnered with bloggers like me for its PUREVAX Pure Protection program. As part of this program, I received compensation for my time. Merial believes that consumers and bloggers are free to form their own opinions and share them in their own words.
1 Jessie L. Dyer, MSPH; Pamela Yager, BS; et al. Rabies surveillance in the United States during 2013. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 2014; 245(10):1111–1123. Available at: http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/full/10.2460/javma.245.10.1111. Accessed September 21, 2015.