If you were hoping for a classic death-by-dessert, let me assure you that these decadent and creamy Salted Caramel Cupcakes deliver.
No jokes, you’re going to have a mini-O in your mouth with the deep, rich flavor of these little icing-laden pastries.
Decadent and Creamy Salted Caramel Cupcakes
You only get one life, right?
And that life should be enjoyed to the absolute fullest some days.
My partner in crime today? These freaking amazing decadent and creamy Salted Caramel Cupcakes.
They have this chocolate cupcake on the bottom, which is, of course, my cryptonite.
Then you get the amazing buttercream icing. Topped with that oh so perfect dab dab dab of caramel sauce.
Again, my cryptonite.
It’s amazing that I live after eating so much cryptonite.
But, the sneaky-snarky-makes-it-better-than-even-just-that part of this recipe is the little hidden treat of caramel INSIDE the chocolate cupcake.
Just pop a little hole in that there cupcake.
Fill with just a spoonful of magical mystery caramel goodness.
Or two spoonfuls, whatever floats your caramel boat, my friend–for me, I’ll stick with one, because I do want to be able to taste the chocolate…
Then close that hole back up, because you wouldn’t want anyone to know that you’d poked a hole in their cupcake.
That would totally ruin the surprise.
Eighteen times. Or seventeen.
I may have had one of the chocolate cupcakes in advance of all this–just to make sure they tasted good.
To even better hide your nefarious hole-making adventure in the cupcakes, you absolutely must squeeze an ample amount of buttercream on top.
I mean, it’s so vanilla-ey and just made for cupcakes.
Literally, that’s what I made it for.
And then the piece-de-resistance.
No, not the lid for the Crazy Glue, Lego-Movie-Mom.
Oh, that silky, smooth caramel that is the one thing that sets this recipe over the edge into decadent-ville for me.
Even just using the caramel sauce is a decadence, in my opinion, what with that being my cryptonite and all.
I could literally drizzle caramel on everything and never be sorry.
It’s just so good.
And the only perfect thing for it to be paired with is–salt.
Who would have guessed that was the little, tiniest thing to set these off and really make the salted caramel cupcakes pop?!
Not me. But then, I just work here. LOL!
If you’re ready to take the dive into these little cupcakes of awesome, but you don’t have any cupcake liners, don’t get your panties twisted.
Just pin this recipe to your favorite decadent cupcake board on Pinterest so you can find it later–I promise we won’t move it on you.
And, don’t forget, if you make these amazingly decadent and creamy salted caramel cupcakes and you loved them, be sure to leave us a 5-star rating.
That will let us know you want more recipes like this one. Whoop!
- For cake:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup Hershey’s special dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda and powder
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 stick softened butter
- 1 tbsp caramel sauce
- ½ tbsp sea salt
- 1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- Caramel sauce
- Coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a cupcake tin with liners and set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients for the cake into a large mixing bowl or a bowl of a stand mixer.
- Whisk through to remove any clumps.
- Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla and mix until well combined. Carefully add in water last. Mix on high for 1 minute. The batter will be watery, that is okay!
- Fill the cupcake liners halfway with batter.
- Bake for 19-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- While the cakes are cooling prepare the buttercream by creaming the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add in caramel sauce and mix until combined. Add in confectioners’ sugar and sea salt.
- Mix on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Add to a piping bag with a large star tip and set aside.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, using a small piping tip or just a knife cut out a small hole in the middle of the cupcake. Fill with about 1 tsp of caramel sauce.
- Pipe a generous amount on top of each cupcake and top with caramel sauce and a sprinkle of sea salt.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 340 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 37mg Sodium: 730mg Carbohydrates: 48g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 38g Protein: 3g