Y’all. One day into being confined at home, and I’m done. I HAVE to find a way to get in some “ME” time, or I’m going to go nuts.
While it’s important to make sure our kids are safe, have activities to do, and don’t get too scared during this time for craziness, it’s also SO important to take care of ourselves!
It’s like on an airplane, when they tell you to put your mask on FIRST in case of emergency. You have to make sure you stay okay during this time at home, so you can watch out for everyone else.
Bottom line — If Mommy Ain’t Happy, Nobody’s Happy!
Here are 10 ideas for you to get in some “ME” time when you’re all stuck inside together.
1. Go To The Bathroom. Seriously. Go in, and close the door. Allow yourself time to breathe.
2. Bake something. Tell everyone the kitchen is off limit until you are done. That will give you AT LEAST thirty minutes to yourself.
3. Make everyone go to bed at their regular bedtime. Just because you are all home, doesn’t mean the kids have to stay up until crazy hours of the night. Give yourself that nightly breather!
4. NAP TIME! Yes. Make your elementary school kids take a nap, or a rest time in the middle of the day. This gives you time to restart and breathe for a bit.
5. Snack time! Give the kids a popsicle or something special at the kitchen table. This gives you a minute of quiet to reset your mind.
6. Throw in a movie. I’m all about letting television be a babysitter when I need it. I’m not talking about letting them watch TV 24/7, but there is nothing wrong with sitting the kids in front of a movie when you need a bit of a break.
7. Have the kids do an exercise video with you. Sure, the kids are still with you, but it will be good for your mind if you get moving a bit. It can also be a simple, fun activity for the kids!
8. Take a longer shower. I’m serious. Bump up your bathroom shower time by 5 minutes. It will give you extra alone time, and I bet nobody really notices the few extra minutes!
9. Take the dog for a walk. Even if it’s just around your yard. It gets you outside, and away from the chaos for a brief moment.
10. Paint your fingernails. Tell the kids to grab a book, do their chores, or now my be a good time to let them watch Frozen 2. Grab your nail polish, and tell them you can’t touch anything until your nails dry!